butterflies & books Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday, January 25, 2010

Rejection(Posted December 24th,2009)

I just got out of speech class half hour ago, and something came across my mind: wealth.
No, not the kind you feed the Tax man or the greedy gass guzzling car. I am talking about a wealth of resources, that I am sitting on, right now. For the past year and half, I've known about dozens of study abroad programs,camps,internships and more. I applied for the NSLI For Youth scholarship, but that didn't work out which discouraged me from applying again this year. To be quite honest, I consider myself to be confident in what I do and tend to go after what I want. This year, I decided not to apply for anything because of the fact that rejection might occur, which is not apart of my vocabulary. Then I started to think about it more over the months, rejection in some way or another will occur. You don't get to choose when it happens but it will in some insidious way happen which is a sad fact of life but a truth. The thing about rejection is how you decide to handle it. Will you let it rule your life? Your relationships? Family life? School? or great opportunities? If you do, (which in some waysthis past year I have) it will be a serious hindrance to what you can accomplish worse then prorastinating. Here's how I see it, you can either decide to let rejection be a stepping stone on the way up or a contrallable,recurring avalanche stopping you from ever reaching the mountain top. So, in the spirit of going forward, I decided about a week and half ago, whether I get rejected or not , I would apply for those study abroad programs, internships and camps by the deadlines and do it with a positive attitude as well as putting my best effort behind these applications. I keep thinking, "if I get even one out of twenty of these opportunities, that would be exemplerary" instead of thinking " I might not get accepted or I might, so i might try...." After finishing reading this book "How to make a habit out of suceeding" by Mack R. Douglas, yesterday, the one thing I took away from it (minus the overuse of quotations)was fear is only a hindrance to your success. Having a "burning desire" driven with attainable goals, persistence and motivation is the path to "sucess" which is something I mostly agree with author on except, I don't have a "burning desire." Desire can be blinding at times if it's not rooted in good,healthy and positive perspective. I would say I have a true dedication to my goals and achieving them, in sha'allah with sucess.

Making the decision to not let one rejection or two, keep from moving forward, is a step in a more positive,dedicated mindset.

That's all for now,

Over&Out
-

No comments:

Post a Comment